Sunday, June 2, 2013

Organizing the Files on your Computer

This is my first post and I am linking up with Kristin over at Ladybug's Teacher Files!

 I don't know about you, but finding my files on my computer had become a nightmare.  I often found myself going straight to "search" rather than finding my way through the maze of folders.  Where is that cute center game, anyway??

It all started out with good intentions... You know; create a folder and name it MATH.  Then before you know it, the Math folder has 6 subfolders (games, data, ideas, centers, standards, plans).  Before you know it, the subfolders have subfolders and YIKES, search has become your only option.


There is a better way, I promise! 
...and here it is:

Whenever you save a file on your computer, the default folder tends to be "My Documents."  Don't fight it; go with it!
  1.  Make the first word of your file name the "BIG" category Think of this as your hanging file tab.  In the example below, I have several files that are FORMS, a couple of NEWSLETTERS and PLANS.  Make this word or short phrase all in capital letters so it is easy to spot.
  2. Next, make the second word of your file name the subject, date, or other subcategory.  Think of this as your file folder name.  In my example below, I have some FORMS that are for math and one for science.
 3.  The third and final part of your file name is the exact name of the  
      document.  This is probably the phrase you used to use under your old 
      saving system.
    
 Because you are saving every file in the same folder, the files are alphabetized and automatically clustered together into groups.   All my FORMS are together, all my PLANS are together, all my WORKSHEETS are together, etc.

No more lost time searching for lost files! I hope this helps make your teaching life a little bit easier, one click at a time!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea!! I need to do this! Thank you for sharing.

    Jamie
    Thrills in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks for linking up with us!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's safe to assume that we all have problems in organizing our files, be it computer files or physical files. But thanks to people like you who share ways and techniques to everyone, this problem is becoming more and more manageable. In behalf of everybody else, I thank you!
    Ruby @ Williams Data Management

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...